Wednesday, August 18, 2010

We need more immigrant Muslims like this

Are you listening Nativists? - your fears have always been misplaced, never correct, and held you back. Time to rethink fear and embrace those who want to be here because of the American Dream.

Amplify’d from www.latimes.com

A Muslim's faith in America

An Afghan family who moved to the U.S. three decades ago marveled at the openness and welcoming nature of the American people and government. But things have changed after Sept. 11.

My children were born here, and they consider themselves as wholly American, but I fear that the current discourse about their faith and their houses of worship will have a devastating effect on them.
What do I tell my 10-year old daughter, Hanan, and my 8-year-old son, Rayyan, when they ask me why fear-mongers in Tennessee, New York, Florida and California don't want a mosque or Muslims as their neighbors?
I will refuse to allow the voices of fear to minimize my father's experiences and degrade the America he fell in love with. My children deserve better. We all do.Read more at www.latimes.com
 

No comments: