Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Looking out the Window « Afghan Women's Writing Project

With the corner of my eyes, a woman of not older than 18-19 years caught my attention outside. I turned myself to see her better. She had on a long dress with little flowers on it. Her face was full of dust, looked grey and super tired like she had been through so much since morning. She had her bag on her shoulder. Her hair was all tangled like she had not washed or brushed it for days.



Across the street she knocked at a house and waited. I couldn’t tell what she was thinking about, but I could tell she had so much to think about as she waited for someone to answer the door. An old man opened the door as she was raising her hand to ring the bell. He looked at the girl, and without even letting her talk, he knew that she was a beggar. He raised his hand and said some sentences that I was not able to hear but the girl seemed to be very discouraged and stepped backward. The man’s face was harsh, full of anger; his expression seemed to say, “I am tired of the people like you.” He closed the door right after he finished talking.


No comments: