Monday, February 22, 2010

Walk in a Gaza Mom's Shoes a Bit

I once lived in Hatfield, Massachusetts - until I was 2 and a half years old. I am 65 now but I still remember the dirt and fields I played in next to the Connecticut River. So, I know how this 5 year-old thinks of Gaza as his town. It'd be nice if Yousuf could go home to a gaza at peace - wouldn't it?
clipped from www.gazamom.com

Gaza, my city

The other day, Yousuf came home from kindergarten with a small project. He was given a paper to fill out to help him learn his address.
I noticed though under “city” he had written something that did not exactly read like Columbia.
“Gosa?” I asked.
“It says Gaza” he said matter-of-factly.
Forget about explaining geography and the limits of physical boundaries to a 5 year old.
Gaza has taken a big part of his heart and he never forgets it. I think in some way, that is how we all feel. No matter how far away we are, no matter how young or old, no matter where we are born and where we end up living, Gaza is in our hearts and is always our city. It casts a spell on you.
 blog it

No comments: